Friday, December 18, 2009

The End


Though I will never know the two strong German men who appeared unexpectedly and carried my bags for me when I didn't think I could make it, I am extremely thankful for them. There are always angels at work in the world looking out for us.

Our German beds looked like this with only one covering, and though it was warm, did not adequately cover my feet.

I had read about Bavarian food before I left and it was all sausage and beer. What else was there, I wondered. What about fruits and vegetables? No worry. The fantastic sausage left me wanting more every day. The restaurants and gasthauses also offer delicious soups, to combat the cold I imagine. Here we have cups of garlic soup with croutons and cream of tomato.

Christmas decorations and Christmas lights were everywhere, but it didn't seem commercial or gaudy, just happy.
I don't know but it seems that traveling to Europe could become prohibitive for us Americans before too long. It is expensive and laborious, so maybe it will be left to the young and fit wealthy. I am neither, but I adapted the best I could, relied on Kathy's prior experiences, and had a great adventure. I am glad I got to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment